Personal Injury Law - Motor Vehicle Accident, & More | Sunshine Coast | McColm Matsinger Lawyers

Slip and Falls

Slip and Fall Accidents – What McColm Matsinger Lawyers can do for you.

McColm Matsinger Lawyers, Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast can provide advice in Public Liability claims in relation to personal injuries cover a vast amount of differing factual scenarios. By way of example, a claim may be made as a result of –

  • Slipping, tripping or falling (on public or private premises);

  • Attending a public place such as a shopping centre and sustaining an injury;

  • Participating in a sporting activity and sustaining an injury;

  • An animal causing an injury.

We can provide you with advice in relation to the circumstances causing your injury and whether you have grounds to make a claim.

  • Can I make a Public Liability Claim?

    If you have been injured as a result of another person’s or entity’s negligence, you may be able to claim compensation. Generally, the insurer of the person or entity at fault will compensate you.

  • What Injuries are covered?

    All physical (including fatal) and psychological injuries as a result of the incident are covered. An injury also includes any aggravation of a pre-existing condition.

  • Time Limits!

    Strict time limits apply in respect of claiming compensation and suing for common law damages.

    A part 1 Notice of Claim Form must be lodged within 9 months from the date of the incident or within one month after consulting a lawyer – whichever is sooner. These time limits may be varied in limited circumstances.

    Proceedings for common law damages must be commenced in Court within 3 years from the date of the incident (unless your claim settles before then).

  • What happens after I lodge a claim?

    After your Claim Form is accepted, it will generally take about 7 months before steps can be taken to convene a settlement conference. The intention of that conference is to negotiate a settlement of your damages claim. It may take longer depending on the evidence required and when your injury stabilises. If your matter does not settle at this informal stage, proceedings may be commenced with a view to a Court deciding your claim.

  • Common Law Damages – what does it include?

    You may be able to claim compensation for the following –

    • Your pain and suffering;

    • Your loss of income and likely loss of future income;

    • Your “out-of-pocket” medical, rehabilitation, pharmaceutical, travel and other expenses and such likely expenses for the future; and

    • Past and future loss of superannuation benefits.

    Under certain circumstances, a claim can also be made for past and future care.